Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment
Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment is a real environmental problem and so there are regulations in place to try and ensure we all do our bit.
Our obligations are set out in detail below, but "In A Nut Shell"
* If you buy an Electrical or Electronic item from us we will take back the waste equivalent from you.
* An equivalent item is one that performs the same or substantially similar function, so a torch for a torch (regardless of size) etc.
* We do not charge for the management and safe disposal of this equipment, but you will have to pay the cost of returning the item to us.
* You must return the WEEE within 28 days for receiving your new item
* You must contact us first to ensure the item is valid WEEE and to allow us to book it into our tracking system.
The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive is now UK law. The legislation aims to make producers pay for the collection, treatment and recovery of waste electrical equipment. The regulations also mean that suppliers of equipment like high street shops and internet retailers must allow consumers to return their waste equipment free of charge.
The amount of WEEE we throw away is increasing by around 5% each year, making it the fastest growing waste stream in the UK.
* Much of the UK's WEEE ends up in landfill, where the lead and other toxins it contains can cause soil and water contamination. This can have a harmful effect on natural habitat, wildlife and also human health.
* Many electrical items that we throw away can be repaired or recycled. Recycling items helps to save our natural finite resources and also reduces the environmental and health risks associated with sending electrical goods to landfill.
Distributors of new Electric and Electronic Equipment (EEE) have a part to play in reducing the amount of WEEE going into landfill sites.
We at Tantronics are doing our bit to support these regulations by offering our customers free take-back of their WEEE on a like-for-like basis when they buy a new Electrical or Electronic product from us.
For example, if a customer bought a new Battery Charger from us we would accept their old Battery Charger and prevent it going into a landfill site by disposing of it safely. Customers must return their WEEE item to us within 28 days of purchasing their new item and will have to pay the cost of returning the WEEE.
Customers MUST also contact us first to ensure the item is valid WEEE under these regulations and to enable us to book this into our WEEE tracking system.
Under the WEEE Regulations, all new electrical goods should now be marked with the crossed-out wheeled bin symbol shown below:
Goods are marked with this symbol to show that they were produced after 13th August 2005, and should be disposed of separately from normal household waste so that they can be recycled.